Wednesday, April 22, 2009

TaikoFest



I'm excited for TaikoFest this weekend. :) I haven't attended a taiko concert in a while. I was a little bummed that I couldn't attend the recent Cherry Blossom Festival in DC over spring break. Flights were rather expensive. I'll have to see KODO some other time. Carol, my friend from taiko and shodo class, reminded me that I can probably see KODO while I am in Japan on the JET program. Superb idea!

The program for TaikoFest includes several acts: Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble, Taiko Center of the Pacific Youth Group, Ryhthm Summit Trio, and Hachijo Taiko, a special group from Japan. I saw the Rhythm Summit Trio perform earlier this year at the Design Center. It was a unique performance that blended many different musical styles. I look forward to hearing them again. In fact, I just ran into Dean Taba, one of the members of the trio. He was performing with another group at the Super Ferry terminal for ConTempo, The Contemporary Museum's annual auction/dinner. For the majority of the event, I was busy packaging artwork in the back office so I didn't get to fully enjoy all of the musical acts. But from what I heard, they sounded great.

No comments: