Monday, October 13, 2008

My First Taiko Class


I attended my first taiko class in 2007 while studying abroad in Kyoto, Japan. In addition to studying Japanese, I wanted to participate in an extracurricular activity and thought of taiko. I convinced Andrew and Diana, two of my friends from my study abroad program, to try taiko with me. We attended a free class at the Taiko Center of Kyoto in our first month of school. The class was held in a small studio with mirrors along the walls. Approximately 8 drums were lined up in two rows. The attendees included several middle-aged men and two college students. We each took turns hitting the drum. During this one hour introductory lesson, the teacher focused on our stance, hitting technique, and bachi (drumstick) grip. The class was conducted entirely in Japanese, but my friends and I were able to follow along by watching everyone else. My arms were not used to the repetitive motion of hitting the drum. It took some getting used to. The next day, my entire upper body was sore. Although my friends and I enjoyed the class, we realized that to continue with the lessons we would have to pay a membership fee in addition to regular class fees. We were rather shocked by the total price and decided to give it some thought. We never ended up going back. :(

In my second semester, I decided to find another extracurricular activity. A classmate of mine was interested in Aikido, a Japanese martial art, so I decided to accompany her to practice one evening. The Aikido dojo was conveniently located 15 minutes away by bicycle from Kyodai's campus.The head sensei was short, soft spoken, and old -- he reminded me of my grandpa. Therefore, I was utterly amazed to see this man in action. In a demonstration, the sensei pinned the assistant teacher to the ground with a few, quick hand movements. My friend and I were both sold on learning Aikido after witnessing this impressive display of strength and agility from an octogenarian. We liked the idea that Aikido would train both our mind and body, and equip us with self-defense techniques. Unfortunately, my training was cut short. I attended class for one month until I injured myself doing an ukemi (backward roll). Due to my neck injury, I was placed in a neck brace for one week -- the week of Spring Break no less. That was the end of Aikido in Japan for me. I still have my dogi (uniform), but I am hesitant to give Aikido another try. I know, what a waste, right? Not really. From this experience, I have a greater appreciation and respect for people who practice Aikido. Perhaps I make a better spectator than participant when it comes to contact sports.

Okay, I have digressed. What I'm trying to say is that I wish I continued with the taiko lessons. Lesson learned: don't be so frugal. (>_<) 一期一会

No comments: