Saturday, January 8, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! Today was my taiko group's "Shogeiko" or first training of the year. This was my first time participating in such an event. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect so I asked one of my senseis about it.

Sensei: Are you free this Sunday?
Me: Yes.
Sensei: Good. Please come to the "Shogeiko."
Me: What's that?
Sensei: The first training of the year. No need to bring your bachi. We are going running together.
Me: Running outside?
Sensei: Yes, we will be running to the neighborhood shrine.
Me: Oh...but it's winter.
Sensei: Exactly. See you there!
Me: *gulp*

Member's of the adult group and children's group gathered at the taiko dojo at 8:30 a.m. for the annual "Shogeiko." After stretching for 10 minutes, we lined up outside at the bottom of a slope. With the sound of a whistle, we were off. No one was allowed to walk. I tried my best to keep up with the front of the pack. Since I managed to run a few times during Christmas break, I was in fairly good shape. However, I was not prepared to run in thirty-degree weather. The cold air made it difficult for me to breathe properly. Fortunately, I was able to complete the run without collapsing. Once everyone reached the shrine, we all had to strip down to our t-shirts. I was hesitant to abandon my jacket and expose my arms to the cold, but EVERYONE was doing as they were told. It's all about the group. First, we practiced our "kiai" or voice. One of the high school members who does karate led the exercise. We shouted "osu" in unison as we went through different karate moves. Following this exercise, we split up into two teams to compete in a "Koe dashi Gassen." In this challenge, each team tries to outshout the other team. In the end, it was a draw. For the rest of the afternoon, we played relay games and several rounds of volleyball. We finished the long day with a hot bowl of zenzai (mochi with azuki beans).

<私の日本語練習>
新年あけましておめでとうございます!今年もよろしくお願いします。今日は初げいこがありました。初めて参加したので、何をするかよく分かりませんでした。。。8時半に太鼓室に集まって神社まで走って行きました。冬なのに。ちょっときつかったけど、あきらめずに終わりました。その後、シャツを着るだけで気合いを練習して、「声だし合戦」をしました。とても寒かったです。帰る前にぜんざいをいただきました。暖かくて気持ちがよかったです。:)

No comments: