Saturday, July 25, 2009

Just a few more days!

Just a few more days until I leave for Japan! I am slightly nervous, but more excited than anything. I have been busy cleaning, packing, spending time with friends and family, and eating lots of delicious food. I have also been in touch with Laurel, my JET predecessor. She has been helpful in answering questions about my work and living situation in Japan. My jutaku (teacher's housing) is in Nogata, a semi-inaka place, approximately 1 hour away from Fukuoka city by train. I will be teaching at 9 different schools (2 elementary/7 junior high). I was rather surprised to learn that I would be rotating between several schools. Laurel encouraged me to embrace the situation with an open mind and try my best not to compare my situation with other JET participants. Good advice. So, I found out that Laurel and I share a few things in common. She is also from Hawaii, part Japanese, and enjoys taiko! Over the past year, Laurel has been playing with Nanryo Daiko, a community taiko group in Kurate. She recommended other groups to consider including an all-girl's taiko group in Shinyuu and a festival drumming group in Kokura. Yay, I am looking forward to visiting these groups. Ok, back to cleaning and packing. I better not forget my bachi! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH wow, and already taiko connections in Fukuoka!! Awesome!

Great Lakes Taiko Center said...

Glad to hear that you easily found some taiko possibilities. Good luck.